Saturday, 25 February 2012

Weekend DIY.. Pillowcase Skirt




So as I mentioned earlier in the week, I've joined forced with Sarah a very talented friend I meet around the communal table at Fine and Sunny to bring you some more creative weekend DIY projects.  Sarah is an absolute wiz on the sewing machine so our first collaboration just had to be a fun and super easy skirt made from a vintage pillowcase.


What You'll Need: A pillowcase (we chose a thrifted vintage one with a fun pattern), medium width elastic, pins, scissors measuring tape.  You will also need a safety pin, sewing machine, iron and ironing board. Optional: Chalk pencil and hem guide (to help hem your skirt).


1 & 2. Turn the pillow case inside out, cut the two side seams and iron.  You will be left with one long rectangle of fabric.


3 & 4. Cut off the top and bottom hems.  Then fold in half, right sides together and pin.


 5. Sew a straight stitch to create the back seam. Just outside the straight stitch sew a zig zag stitch, to stop the fabric from fraying.  You will now have the basic shape for your skirt.
6. Zig zag stitch the top and bottom of the skirt to stop the edges from fraying.  


7 & 8. To make the tube for the elastic waistband, double the width of the elastic, then measure, fold and pin the fabric at top of the skirt.  Iron into place and sew a straight stitch over the top of the zig zag stitch, ensuring you leave a two inch gap to insert the elastic through.


9 & 10. Cut the elastic to fit snugly around your waist and include an extra two inch overlap which will be stitched together.  Use a safety pin to thread the elastic through, ensuring you hold on to the other end as you pull it through.


11 &12.  Pull elastic through completely and sew together, either by hand or on the sewing machine.  Go over the elastic several times to ensure it is secure. Then pull the elastic in and sew the gap closed.  

13. Sew an one inch hem to finish the skirt at the bottom.  


Ta Da! Now you have a cute new skirt! 


It's perfect for Summer and of course you could add extra layers and a cute pair of tights for Autumn.  If you'd like a little extra length, just add a piece of contrasting fabric to the bottom, or wear over the top of a longer skirt.  You can find really sweet vintage pillow cases in most thrift shops, or you can buy a cheap white one and dye it in the colour of your choice.  Now I know it's so easy, I think I'll be turning all my pillowcases into skirts!


Pop over to Sarah's blog and check out how she altered her recent thrift store find.

Happy Creating!
xxx

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I think even I could possibly do this, if I had a sewing machine ... *le sigh*
    Kel xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely DIY! I think I might try it out next month : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRILLIANT!
    i really want to try this out.
    i have horrible sewing skills but i think i might be able to do this. ;)
    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is ace! I love the fabric.

    Catherine, XO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I'd seen pillowcase dress tutorials for children but not a skirt for women - will make sure bookmark for future use :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea! Love the pattern so much! :)

    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute! I have a growing collection of vintage pillowcases that need to be made into something, and this is perfect!

    xo, Megan
    gingerly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this takes me back! In my glory years as a punk/hippy hybrid we used to do this- although I have to say it was usually a couple of pins rather than hems and elastic! Because I was (am) so inept at the sewing machine, I would just stitch a long tie across the top and wear it like a wrap around apron. Thanks for reminding me of this- maybe that huge stack of vintage pillowcases in the dining room isn't all bound for ebay after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see pretty vintage pillowslip skirts popping up all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant, I've been looking for a simple skit pattern with an elasticated waistband. I hadn't even thought of pillowcases. Will be trying this one out soon, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOve it!Love that it is in Mildura. I have a market skirt pattern I used to make a skirt from an a vintage table cloth with (plus a hat or two). I love it. Elastic waistband too and soo good for summer. Please say Hi to the Fine and Sunny girls for me. I still plan on a granny square quick lesson( Tell them it is the Karen, that made the Miss Marlo Dress such a drama) I am in hospital but can get my husband to drop off the market skirt pattern if you guys want a squiz. It has sizes. It's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great DIY! I really should get my sewing machine out and try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is perfect! :) i will try this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x