Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Thoughts on the Evolution of Personal Style..

"Style is primarily a matter of instinct" - Bill Blass

Nearly five years ago, when I first started this blog, I wrote in my little bio that I was part 1950s housewife and part 1960s flower child with a touch of Alice in Wonderland and little did I know, in that one sentence I somehow defined my personal style. 

When I first began writing Her Library Adventures, I had never really intended my blog to be about my personal style, although I did share a few photos of outfits or clothes I'd bought, mainly to show my sister and my mum.  Fashion and style blogs did not really exist in the way they do now, but I was always drawn to street style images and the creative vibe of early style bloggers Emily and Francesca.  I have always been intrigued by why people choose particular garments to wear, what significance the pieces hold and stories their outfits share.  This began during my University studies in Fashion Theory and continues to be an area of study I'm still captivated  by today.  

So as I become more open and shared more about what I love to wear, I not only reflected on the personal style of those who inspire me, but also the pieces hanging in my own wardrobe. I was wandering around a department store this morning, looking for a birthday present for my little sister and I couldn't help but notice very specific reoccurring trends and just how many clothes were filling the racks that no one appeared to be buying.  It was both fascinating and a little overwhelming and on my way home I started to think about my own style evolution, my shift away from department store dressing and embracing my love for a variety of different styles and eras.  

My style really evolved when I moved to a small town, without a department store or very many independent fashion shops.  Finding clothing that was felt like 'me' was a real challenge and that's when I really found my love for thrifting.  Second hand and vintage pieces now play a big part in my personal style and because you just never know what you are going to find thrifting, my wardrobe has become a mix of staple pieces and thrifted finds that catch my eye, often for their colour, era and pattern.  In the past, I was always nervous about wearing colour, feeling like I didn't want to stand out from the crowd, so I stuck with buying most things in basic black.  Over the past few years, inspired by gorgeous style bloggers like Kaylah and Elizabeth, I really made a point of stepping out of my comfort zone to add more colour to my wardrobe and I haven't looked back since. 

These days my style is very much an eclectic mash up.  I love vintage and retro inspired girly styles and am always happy wearing a dress, cardigan, tights and ballet flats.  But I have a sprinkle of flower child in my soul, especially during summer and I'm drawn to flowing maxi skirts and a more bohemian aesthetic, which contradicts the majority of my wardrobe.  As much as I adore this look, I'm only 5' tall and beautiful long dress and skirts just don't suit my body shape, so right now, I'm working on blending the worlds and making both styles work together for me.  
     
My word for 2013 is Embrace.. So that's exactly what I've decided to do with my personal style.  Rather than getting frustrated the pieces that don't work for my body shape, I'm embracing my instincts, reworking items that have been sitting in the back of my wardrobe for years, trying new combinations, loving eclectic accessories and finding a balance between my inner 50s housewife and 60s flower child. And so far, it's been a really fun challenge!

I would love to hear your thoughts on personal style.. How would your define your style? Has it changed over the years? Do you have one strong style or do you mix it up? 

Much Love
xxx

13 comments:

  1. I love this! I need to start trying more new things with my clothing too! I feel like my style changes all the time :)All of your outfits are very cute! You have great style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who cares about MY personal style- LOOK AT YOU!!!

    I remember when you first started doing regular wearing posts and i LOVED it. You have such a strong sense of style, guided by personal taste rather than high fashion. Always unique, wearable and awesome.

    Whatever you do Sophie, keep being adorable! (those dimples!!)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the older you get the more you realise what works for you. You also realise what is in fashion just makes you look the same as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your style! I simply can not imagine you in basic black. You absolutely rock colour!! I've always loved vintage clothes but over the last year or so I've become alot braver at re-inventing pieces I find on my travels. A ginormous floral dress just became my most favourite maxi skirt with a bit of snipping and sewing. So hate how all the shops stock the same things in varying degrees of quality. Etsy has become my new "department store" along with the flea market, oppies and the beloved Wooloongabba antique centre. Wishing you beautiful colourful days and we'll chat soon for a vintage scouring, pottering morning soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also went from black/dark colours to more vibrant tones! I think it's absolutely normal that our style changes at the same time as we do. Love your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel exactly the same with the battle between flower child and 1950s house wife, my personal style is more 1950s as I embrace that most. I loved this post and you have a wonderful style of writing :) keep up the good work :)

    Kirstabelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply lovely outfits and blog:) I would describe my style as - anything under $20 at the moment!!!! Love op-shopping. I am reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and absolutely love it! Hope you are super duper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Embrace -I like it :) I need to do that with some of the pieces in my closet. I mostly thrisft and buy from cheap shops.
    My style is a mix between bohemian, 90s grunge, and goth chic. It's a weird mixture, but I like it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes. My style has definitely changed over the years but I like to think of it as refinement! ;) In my teens you would've been lucky to get me in a skirt but that is all I wear now. Like yourself, my wardrobe is vintage with other thrifted pieces. I love the classic late 50s / early 60s silhouette and I think my style pretty much revolves around dresses and cardigans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has taken me about 36 years to be comfortable enough in myself to want to try and find my style. I was a trend follower for ages and it is time consuming and expensive. Then I went into Rut Mode which means I lived in jeans and a long sleave ugly tee. *shudder* Now I am trying to find what suits ME. What looks good on ME. You can do vintage and eclectic and make it look timeless.

    I come here often for inspiration and I am even more inspired as we are about the same height. I do look at this blog for hints on how to wear clothes. You seem to be the queen of putting it all together and looking awesome. I would love a lesson from you some time because you make it look so effortless and I am floundering in this area badly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the second and last outfit a lot. I actually just wrote a similar post on my blog about how my style has evolved. Like you I used to be afraid of colour and mostly stuck to black. Since I started blogging though I have become more daring in my style choice and have begun to wear a lot more colour, and things that I like not just things that fit okay. I have always loved the aesthetic of the 40s-60s. If I had my way I would dress like someone from the 1810s, but that isn't practical so instead I stick with a more recent vintage style, haha. Thank you for sharing your evolution!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved your style, Sophie! Your outfits are totally inspired and just awesome xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x