Sunday, 22 December 2013

Baking - Ginger Shortbread..

There is just something about festive baking I adore.. The smell of  sweet treats baking in the oven, brings back so many childhood memories and that lovely sense of delightful Christmas nostalgia.  When coupled with some fabulous old carols, it's my favourite way to spend a December afternoon. These days the family baking baton has now been passed over to me and while I'm still perfecting the art of the our traditional shortbread recipe (it's a tricky one to get just right), I thought I'd mix things up and also create a new festive biscuit this year.. the Ginger Shortbread, adapted from a Margret Fulton recipe. A simple shortbread dough with a few special extras inspired by gingerbread.  For me it's the perfect combination.   

Ginger Shortbread
250g of butter
250g of plain flour
1/2 cup of caster sugar
4 tsp of ground ginger
2 tsp of cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
(feel free to add more of less ginger, cinnamon and vanilla to suit your taste)
 
Preheat oven to 160°C and prepare biscuit tray with baking paper.
Cream together butter and sugar
Sift flour, ginger and cinnamon and work gently into butter mixture
Add vanilla and knead lightly
Roll out onto a lightly floured board
Cut to desired Christmas shapes (I just love snowflakes)
Bake in a 160°C oven until golden
Sprinkle with a little caster sugar while warm and enjoy
 
The perfect little Christmas delight to have on hand in the coming days and a sweet last minute homemade gift.
 
What have you been baking up this Christmas?
 
Much Love
xxx


9 comments:

  1. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmy. nothing like gingerbread at christmas. thinking of you. have a beautiful christmas. much love from holland. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so tasty!! Thanks for sharing the recipe :-) x
    http://lornaswishingwell.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, yum, sounds tasty, I've never thought of ginger shortbread before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These looks delicious!

    www.heavenlyclutter.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look lovely, I just might try these out! have a lovely christmas,Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmmyyyy, I can feel that great smell ...I must try it immediately!
    Merry Christmas,
    Rengin

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful Sophie, so delicate. I have been baking mini gingerbread men and salted honeycomb to give as gifts. I love it too. Merry Christmas to you and your little family x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love the snowflake shape. I don't really have time for more cooking… but this looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love and vintage dreams ~ Sophie x